Thursday, October 24, 2013

Blog Post #10

RandyPausch

In 2007, Dr. Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer science professor gave his last lecture. I really enjoyed watching his lecture. Randy Pausch, "Last Lecture" was very inspirational. It was sad, funny and thought-provoking. He was upbeat and energetic even though he knew he had a few months to live. Randy Pausch has pancreatic cancer. In his lecture, he addressed things that he would not talk about. These things were: his family, cancer, spirituality and religion. During this lecture, he focused on three topics. These three topics are: Childhood Dreams, Enabling the dreams of others and Lessons Learned: how you can achieve your dreams or enable the dream of others. The last lecture is about achieving your childhood dreams.

Randy talked about his childhood dreams. Some of those dreams were: being in zero gravity, playing in the NFL and being a Disney Imagineer. His dreams of playing in the NFL, and being Captain Kirk were dreams; he did not get to do. However, most of his dreams did come true. There were many valuable life lessons that were given throughout Dr. Pausch's lecture. The two topics that stood out for me was bricks walls and accepting criticism.

brickwall

I like his quote “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” This was just a simple and powerful statement to me. Brick walls being obstacles that will appear, in my life. Some of these obstacles may be big or small. But, if I really want something bad enough, I will find a way to overcome the wall. I have to work harder to overcome the brick walls, that come my way.

Another quote that stood out to me was "When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody’s bothering to tell you anymore, that’s a very bad place to be. Your critics are your ones telling you they still love you and care." I learned that criticism can be very beneficial. For a long time, it was hard for me to accept criticism. I just thought it was someone being mean. But, looking back, they were just trying to help me. As a future educator, I welcome criticism. It is very important to hear what other people have to say about us so, that we can improve ourselves. There are some great things I learned about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch. As a future educator, it is important that I encourage my students with positive criticism. Also, it is important that I do not give up on my students.

Randy Pausch lecture made me look at my life and value my time here on Earth. Sadly, on July 25, 2008, Randy Pausch passed away from pancreatic cancer. I was inspired by watching this lecture; I will carry these insights and use them as a future educator. Also, I will apply them to my life. I will continue to pursue my goals with great determination and continue, until I accomplish my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment