Thursday, September 12, 2013

C4T #1

conference

For my first C4T, I was assigned to read Mrs. Beth Knittle’s blog, Beth's Thoughts on Technology in the Classroom, the post was on BLC 2013 Conference Notes, were notes that she had taken at a conference in Boston. Beth Knittle listened to a speaker named Dr. Weinberg. He spoke about technology not changing education. Dr. Weinberg's discussion was about education has not changed, but learning has changed. Furthermore, he discussed there is a need for web literacy. Beth's thoughts are that questions need to be asked, and we need to accept challenges. Beth discussed how she likes to read other people’s notes. Because it shows how people listen to the information given to them, but they take away different things from the speaker’s discussion.

Next, in Beth’s notes was Research, Inquiry, and the Common Core: A Collaborative Journey and Smack down. The speakers were: Joyce Valencia, Shannon Mc Clintock Miller and Michelle Luhtala. Their discussion included that 80 percent of your time must be done on common core that is to be shared by all teachers. Reading for pleasure and passion and creativity should make up for 20 percent. Close reading and a variety of tools were looked at in helping with the common core. The next discussion was on The Future School. Beth admits she did not take many notes. The speaker’s name was Brad. Beth’s notes included that if children threw out their notes at the end of the year, we are not helping students. The speaker used sketch-notes in his presentation. Brad held a spontaneous discussion. He uses an app called Paper by 53. There were note-taking strategies discussed like: sketching. Sketching can be used to keep students interested while they are taking notes.

My name is Shernaye. I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed your post about the BLC Conference you attended. My major is Elementary/Special Education. I hope to use the tool of sketching that you wrote about. I think that it will be a great visual aid tool for my students while they are taking notes.

Mrs. Knittle latest blog post was titled, How To Change Education, she recommended a video to watch, Ken Robinson, How to Change Education from the ground Up. She went on the discuss the changes that teachers are faced with like: curriculum, common core and the brand new testing of PARACC, evidence collecting, new technology and district and state standards. Mrs. Knittle discussed that she liked Mr. Robinson's video because he stressed that teaching is an art form. Furthermore, Mrs. Knittle encourages teachers not to lose focus when starting a new year, and she encourages creativity and the joy of learning for both the students and the teacher.

Mrs. Knittle, I liked reading your post, HOW TO CHANGE EDUCATION, I enjoyed watching the video you linked Ken Robinson on How to Change Education-from the Ground Up. He had a great talk on how to help your students to learn. When I become a teacher, I have to remember the importance of engaging my students. Some of my teachers were not engaging. Mr. Ken Robinson had interesting points on the state of education. I agree; the real focus on education is sometimes lost. When I become a teacher, it is important for me to remember that education is about educating individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment