Saturday, September 7, 2013

Blog Post # 3

peer review

The positives were that my group members each contributed to the group and individual assignments. They offered suggestions, and their suggestions were positive. The group members’ work was submitted on time. Their work was organized. The workload was distributed equally. Yes, there was clarity. My group members were very clear on their assigned parts. I would offer suggestion privately by email, if there are major mistakes in their writing. I would not want to embarrass them. For punctuation and grammar, I would tell them on their blog. I will use both approaches, because there are positive ways to help my peers with their writing.

After viewing the video, Peer Editing and the slideshow Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial, I learned that I do not know much about peer editing. In the past, I have given my work to classmates to look over. However, the term of peer editing is new to me. After looking at the word, peer editing, I still did not get the connection of it is editing by your peers. The other things that I learned from this material are: Editing is making suggestions, compliments, comments and changes to writing. You are helping to change your peer’s work. It is always important to remember these steps when editing a peer’s work. These steps are: Compliments, Suggestions and Corrections. It is important to remain positive. The first step is Compliments. When editing your peer’s work, always start with a compliment, using examples like: I loved your topic; I think you used a lot of good details. The second step is Suggestions. Suggestions give the writer exact details on how to make their writing better. During this process, it is important to remain positive. Suggestions offer the following: details, word choice, organization, the length of sentences and topics making sure that the author stays on the topic. The third step is Corrections. Corrections check for grammar and spelling mistakes, missing punctuation and incomplete and run-on sentences.

In the video, Writing Peer Review (Peer Critique) TOP 10 Mistakes, these students were great in demonstrating the top 10 mistakes of doing a peer review. I like how the students demonstrated what not to do. By watching this video, I recognized that I have been peer reviewed by Pushy Paula and Off-Task Oliver. This video is a great visual aid tool in helping to explain to students the correct way to do peer editing. Writing is a form of communication, and having someone critique your work, may make you nervous. Nevertheless, by having a positive peer reviewer, it can help make your writing better.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I believe you collaborated the material together well! I enjoyed how thorough you were in the discussion of peer editing. Well done, I really enjoyed your post regarding peer editing!

    ReplyDelete